Cinnamon is a medicinal spice obtained from the bark of a cinnamon tree from the Cinnamomum genus of the Lauraceae family. The tree of cinnamon is usually found at a different part of the world and grows to the height of ten to fifteen feet. After a thorough research of all the cinnamon around the world, SriLanka’s cinnamon is studied to be the best spice for its sweet taste and inviting aroma.
Cinnamon is employed in both sweet and aromatic foods. The bark of the cinnamon tree is considered a useful medicinal which make it named “Twak” in Ayurveda. Its sharp aroma and sweet bark tastes give cinnamon the other Ayurveda names “Utkata” and “DaaruSita” respectively.
Ayurveda principles claim that the bark of cinnamon is not heavy and can easily absorb enough water during digestion, which results in body tissue dryness. Cinnamon is characterized by three essential tastes namely; bitter, sweet, and hot. This hotness is effective and pleasant to the user. The bark of cinnamon is a good medicine used to relieve Kapha and Vata while increasing Pitta. However, sweet cinnamon is equipped with an essential property to regulate pitta due to the sweetness of the spice. Let’s look at its health benefits.
Key Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon contains many medicinal properties to offer so much health benefits for both inside and outside treatments of the body.
Texts of Ayurveda describe health benefits of cinnamon as follows
According to Ayurveda, below are the key health benefits of cinnamon arising from its medicinal properties:
- Treats Vata-related diseases: The bark of cinnamon is found useful in treating diseases originated from Vata. The use of cinnamon can effectively treat conditions such as nerve weakness and paralysis.
- Prevents and controls diabetes: The spice of cinnamon has been researched to help prevent and control diabetes by controlling the blood sugar levels fluctuation in the diabetic patients.
- Good for digestion: Cinnamon has been recommended by Ayurveda acharyas to help indigestion, bloating, and flatulence. It alleviates discomfort and reduces stomach pain due to stomach upset. A mixture of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of raw honey, taking 2 – 3 times daily is a good remedy for a cough, common cold or congestion. The inhale of cinnamon sticks boiled in water has also been found helpful for colds and sore throats.
- Helps lungs-related problems: According to the Ayurveda text, cinnamon oil is recommended for treatment of tuberculosis and other lungs related diseases. It has been found useful in a productive cough to alleviate chest congestion.
- Weight loss: Cinnamon helps in weight loss by relieving Kapha. It reduces body fat or medhadhatu to decrease Kapha. The addition of this spice to your dish helps reduce Kapha aggravating properties of rice as well as other carbohydrates. A daily consumption of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon can also lower LDL cholesterol. (Check Trimfit an ayurvedic weight loss remedy combo for weight loss )
- Strengthens women sex hormone: Cinnamon strengthens women uterus and balances their menstrual cycle to promote their overall health during and after their periods. ( Check for Ayurvedic remedy Combo for PCOD )
- Improves erectile dysfunction in men: Cinnamon is an excellent remedy to improve erectile dysfunction and overall sexual function. Its effectiveness in controlling diabetes helps it to be the best Ayurveda treatment for erectile dysfunction in diabetes and other related diseases. (Check Diabetes Vajikarana Therapy for erectile dysfunction due to diabetes ).
- For diarrhea: The powder of cinnamon is also good for diarrhea. A mixture of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a small amount of nutmeg combine with ½ cup of yogurt and take 2 – 3 times a day helps diarrhea condition.
The bark of the cinnamon tree is equipped with numerous Ayurvedic properties, and these properties have been the hidden secret behind the cinnamon magic of treating and controlling many diseases. It has been found as a home remedy for many diseases. Have you had a taste and benefit of cinnamon? Ask for it today and start enjoying the health benefits.
If you have any health related queries contact email@example.com for free ayurvedic consultations