Guduchi which is also known as Giloy in Hindi has a botanical name called Tinospora Cardifolia belongs to the family of Menispermaceae. It is grouped into climber species which is found and abundantly available in the tropical regions of India, Srilanka, and Myanmar. The herb has yellow coloured and heart shaped flowers and leaves respectively. Guduchi is characterized with round fruits that turn red when they are ripe for harvest.
Guduchi has been praised all over the world by herbal healers for its adaptogenic properties that enhance body resistance, fatigue, anxiety, and reduce stress. This herbal contains essential constituents such as cardifoliside, giloin, diterpene, berberine, and tinosporone.
Guduchi has been found useful in the ancient history of Ayurveda medicine and recorded to have both astringent and bitter tastes. The herb is heavy to digest with hot potency and as well as increases body tissues moistures. These properties have helped Guduchi normalizes essential three doshas namely; Pitta, Vata, and Kapha when used together with sugar, ghee, and honey respectively.
Medicinal properties of Guduchi
Texts of Ayurveda explain the medicinal properties of giloy as follows
This herb rejuvenates the whole body. It boosts the strength and improves bowel movement. It normalises the digestion and improves the digestion. Guduchi or Giloy is very effective in controlling the diabetes and lowers the blood sugar level. Use of this herb is found to be very effective in respiratory diseases like cough, bronchitis etc. Giloy is very beneficial in jaundice, anaemia, skin disorders, fever and intestinal parasites. The details of uses are given below
- Circulatory system: Guduchi has been applauded in the Ayurveda text as a cardiac tonic heart enhancement. The herb is known for its ability to purify blood and remove all the toxins in the blood and this makes it effective for regulation of blood uric acid level in gout.
- External applications: Guduchi is another remedy for skin disorder in the Ayurveda It is helpful in boosting skin resistance to microbes and efficient treatment for ulcers and leprosy created by gout and other related problems. It is also found useful in healing and helps speed up the healing process of wound formed from vulnerable diseases and as well as helps healing herpes lesions.
- Digestive system: Guduchi is researched to contain essential properties that are helpful in conditions such as indigestion, irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), excess thirst, dysentery, vomiting, and acidity. Due to its antispasmodic property, it helps in reduction of stomach pain resulted from intestinal spasms. Guduchi preparations are efficient to be used as a remedy to treat hepatic fibrosis, jaundice, and other related liver diseases because giloy is a great heptatonic.
- Urinary system: The herb has contributed significantly to the excretory system by energizing the system and enhancing the resistance of urethra and bladder inner layers to combat infections associated with a reoccurring urinary tract.
- Respiratory system: Guduchi boosts lungs’ strength and minimizes a chronic cough as well as other respiratory diseases.
- Reproductive system: The herb contains aphrodisiac properties which make it relevant in boosting sperm motility and sperm count in male reproductive system. Guduchi is also equipped with adaptogenic properties that rejuvenate the male organ and make it effective for the treatment of some sexual problems such as premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
- Body resistance: Guduchi increases body immunity and as well as boosts the energy level of the body against diseases and making the body resistant to diseases. Giloy is excellent in treating and reducing fever and diabetes. Guduchi preparations are found effective in treating diseases such as gout and arthritis. The antimicrobial properties in the herb help hinder the growth of microorganism in the body; thereby enhancing the body resistance to many diseases.
Key Home Remedies Using Guduchi
- Fresh Guduchi juice is an excellent herb to lessen fever and mouth dryness.
- About 10 ml of fresh Guduchi juice mixed with 10 ml of honey is good in the morning on an empty stomach to curtail a productive cough.
- Also, Guduchi juice mixed with ginger juice consumed in the morning on an empty stomach assists in rheumatoid arthritis known as amavatha.
- The mixture of giloy leaves juice with jaggery alleviates constipation.
- Juice extracted from Guduchi leaves mixed with pure ghee lowers joint pains resulted from a different kind of arthritis when taken on an empty stomach.
Medicinal properties of Guduchi have been discovered from the facts above to be a rare gem among the herbs in the tropical region of Indian. It has a long list of properties to offer significant benefits for home remedies. However, care must be taken to ensure its sustenance and existence by preserving the herb to continue enjoying these great benefits.
BUY AYURVEDIC GUDUCHI PREPARATIONS
If you have any health related queries contact email@example.com for free ayurvedic consultations